do Deutsch! Olympiad
Starting August 29, UT Knoxville students can enter the do Deutsch! Olympiad, a pentad of creativity contests based upon the theme “German(y) in your Life.” Entries can be in English, Deutsch (German), or a mixture of both. All entries need to be submitted via Online@UT; the "Do Deutsch" Organization Site is open for self-enrollment. The winner in each of the five categories at UT Knoxville will move up to the national level for the chance to win a trip to Berlin! The German Embassy determines the national winners, but here at UT Knoxville, the students decide who wins the local contests.
Here’s how participate in the Olympiad:
August 29–September 27, 2011
Submit one entry into any or all of these five campuswide competitions:
- Essay. Discuss the role of German influences in America in two to three pages.
- Graphic Arts/Sculpture. Create a piece of visual art related to German language and culture.
- Film/Video. Produce a three- to five-minute film that portrays German influences in the daily lives of Americans. Individuals or small groups of three or fewer can produce a film. Additional contributors are allowed but will not be eligible to receive awards on the national level.
- Poem/Song. Create a song or poem that deals with Germany, its language, or its influences in the US in a musical or lyrical way.
- Speech. Deliver a three- to five-minute speech on German–American relations.
September 30–October 9, 2011
Voting begins! Each vote enters you into a drawing for prizes. View the entries, and vote for your favorites. Please keep the following criteria in mind to improve winners’ chances at the national level:
• Essays. Content, language, organization, and originality
• Graphic artwork. Content, creativity, and artistic expression
• Films and Videos. Content, creativity, organization, and research
• Poems and Songs. Content, creativity, and artistic expression and performance
• Speech. Content, delivery, organization, and originality
October 10–14, 2011
do Deutsch! Week! All winning submissions and drawing prizewinners will be announced.
The top winners in the do Deutsch! Olympiad categories receive prizes, and the winner of each category gets a chance to compete at the national level. All winners will be displayed and/or performed throughout campus during do Deutsch week.
The contest sponsors reserve the right to withdraw or terminate this contest at any time without prior notice.